Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rejection

One of the hardest things humans have to suffer as social beings is rejection. If you have ever been excluded from a game on the playground or been told no by your crush, you know how it feels. Rejection makes you feel like you are not good enough, and you will never BE good enough. Rejection is nothing but a concept, yet it has the power to make you feel little and powerless. It makes you feel embarrassed for trying, makes you afraid to make yourself vunerable again. It knocks the motivation out of you like a big exhale. Rejection sounds like laughing, cold ironic laughing as you hang your head in shame.

I know because this evening, a scholarship rejected me. It felt like a rug had been taken from under my feet and I was falling without a parachute. All that promise, the promise of getting into my top school with enough money to make sure my parents wouldn't have to worry slipped out of my hands like a pool of water. I watched it slip away, wishing that it was just a dream, just a horrible dream. I reread the email three times exactly, to see if they meant it. They had thanked me for applying, reminding me that not all the finalists make it, to keep at it because I was a competitive student. All I could read was the smack: No.

I felt stupid. I felt like a failure. I felt embarrassed. I thought of the people I had to say I failed to. I thought of the brilliant girl who had gotten my spot. I tried to come up with the clear reason I had failed. I cried. I cried a lot. I felt like a stupid loser.

Remember the day you got into Uni? How when you opened the crisp, white envelope and read accepted, didn't you feel brilliant and powerful? I remember. A Tuesday afternoon. I opened it, read it, and danced right there on the driveway. I felt smart. I felt like a success. I felt proud. I called everyone I knew. I liked the way their gasps of joy sounded in my ear. They sounded like a victory march.

Tonight though, I thought of the sixth grade girl who didn't get accepted into Uni. The girl who would have had my spot. I don't know what she looks like. If she is tall, short, brave, cowardly, mean, nice, my likeness or opposite. All I can imagine was how she felt. How she felt stupid. How she felt like a failure. How she felt embarrassed. I bet she thought of the "brilliant" girl who got her spot. I bet she tried to come up with the clear reason she had failed. She might have even cried. She might have cried a lot. And she might have felt like a stupid loser.

Rejection's a funny thing though, because it holds so much power but it never lasts. Remember that game you had been excluded from or that crush who said no? You might remember, but you still don't feel the scathing burn. You might feel a twinge of sadness, or nostalgia, or even humor. But failure? No, you don't. You won't feel that. Because rejection can't define who you are. It can't because it doesn't have enough strength to define you. Just like sadness can't, or anger, or even happiness. You are you, and it's up to you to write your definition. Rejection's like drinking hot chocolate too soon. It burns, it hurts for a while, but in the morning the bad feeling is gone and all that is left is you once again.

You will be rejected in life, because life is imperfect. Rejections will happen just as much as joys, trials, and tribulations will happen. Next year, when you apply to college, remember that rejections will burn. They might make you cry. But you are smart. You are a success. You should be proud. Because rejections don't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things.

I hope you believe me. If you don't, I pray that you will find your answer to how to deal with life's obstacles. I also hope that you celebrate all your successes, because they matter so much more.

-Celinda :]

16 comments:

  1. I wish it were that all people were blessed with your grace and dignity. I wish it were that all my students wrote this well. Stay well, umfundisi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celinda,

    Thanks for taking the time to write this; I think I can fairly say that this is some of the best advice I've heard in terms of dealing with rejection. It's so easy to get overwhelmed by the hype about admissions and hardly anyone ever talks about the consequences of rejection.

    So thanks again,
    A junior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really like this. Thanks for sharing. (:

    Another Junior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celinda,
    This is so powerful. YOU ARE AMAZING. Thank you for sharing this with everyone. Your strength of character shines through -- and I thank you for reminding readers to keep things in perspective. BIG HUGS TO YOU!!! - Lisa Micele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celinda-Well written, thoughtful, and SO TRUE! Thanks :) Rachel Green

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celinda this was a great topic to cover and I think you covered it nicely. I agree with Mr. Rayburn, the college is the loser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celinda, this is a phenomenal post. Thank you for writing and sharing this. There are so many truths in what you have written, and your reflection is phrased so effectively, it made my heart race to read it. You will shine wherever you go, whatever you do. You already do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are insightful, touching words. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well written, Celinda, and astute advice for the seniors too, with ea/ed decisions about to arrive. Our whole class should read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is so powerful. It really brought tears to my eyes. I appreciate your taking the time to put into words what both of my kids have gone through and how to live past the awful moment when you read that email or open that envelope. Because you ARE special and beautiful and smart and wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing this celinda it really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Celinda, although I will save your post to share one day with my kids (who are 9 and 7 now), it was directly helpful to *me* today, when I got a tough-to-read note: and I'm almost 44!!!! Rejection *is* like drinking hot chocolate too soon! And even though I've been through it quite a few times, I still could benefit and learn from your thoughts. How great, too, that you turned to writing when feeling down...creative, productive, therapeutic, and helping others...you're already a role model to my kids, and now you are to me, too! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Celinda,
    I am proud of you for sharing your experience. Many people are too embarrassed or ashamed to admit a failure or rejection. You seem to have processed this experience as being just that-- an experience which gives you an opportunity for personal growth, and that is a success!

    John Dewey, a personal hero of mine, said, "Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes"

    Good work, Celinda! You'll continue to have many achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Celinda,

    Thanks for providing some insights to how we all feel but don't always share. Well written, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we'll get through this!

    ReplyDelete