Sunday, July 25, 2010

E=MC^2?? Force? Quantum box?????

Oh Physics. I don't miss you.
However, I am going to share all about the class with you Juniors! First, I will make a list about what you should expect from the class. Second, I will give some advice (that I should have followed)...

What to Expect:
1) The grading system is intensely curved. This is good news and bad news. If you aren't a big science person, or quickly discover that you aren't good at physics, you can work the best you can and get a B. If you are a genius at Physics, then you can get an A. However, it is kind of hard to get an A in his class. It is also kind of hard to get a C.
2) There are quizzes ALL the time. Like, at the very least one every two weeks. Usually, it's once a week.
3) You get worksheets. Around 40 a semester (maybe even a quarter, memory is kind of fading). After he explains the material in class, you have the worksheets to practice. He does not grade or view your worksheets however.
4) Getting a 12 and above consistently on a quiz guarantees you at least a B. So, you get a 17 on one quiz, but you don't study so hard for the next one and get a 13? No problem at all :]
5) Ray is an interesting character. I find him humorous. So, at least the class can be semi interesting.

Advice:
Worksheets--Now me, I almost never did them because I had more pressing matters (Stats with Mr. Russell). Sometimes, I would lose them before the end of the school day. That meant I often was unprepared for the quizzes. I suggest you file all your physics worksheets in a folder, paper clipping worksheets that are part of the same unit. When the unit is over, file them somewhere safe. There are midterms and finals (aka, four cumulative tests), and you will want the worksheets to help you study. Also, try to do at least a few of the problems every time you get a new worksheet. You go over it a lot in class, but even doing a little can help you understand the material better.

Quizzes--Memorize formulas*. A bulk of being able to do a quiz is knowing the formulas. You all probably have had Mr. Butler, so you understand rote memorization. After you have the formulas down, go over as many problems on the worksheets as you can. Know how to do the easy ones, even review them before the test, because sometimes, you forget one easy step and BAM, three easy points gone.

Group studying--For some classes, studying together doesn't help at all. What I found out though, is studying in pairs or in a group can really help with physics because it on a formula by formula, problem by problem basis. This might not work for all of you, but it helped me, so it's an idea.

*Some people I know didn't memorize the formula, but actually derived it. Which is insanely terrifying. But you might find this route easier...

Anyway, if you have any more questions about physics, go ahead and comment! Or email me (which I actually haven't given you!) at ckdavis2@uni.illinois.edu :]
More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment