Monday, July 5, 2010

"Dear Celinda, your academic achievements..."

Hey!

I'm posting, I'm posting! It wasn't an empty promise. I've only done that like TWICE.

Just yesterday, I went through a large portion of the college letters I have been receiving for the past year and a half. 92% went into the disappear-out-of-my-life pile. The other 8% are from colleges that I have on my college list. While I am really glad to clear all that mess out of my room, the big issue was that stacks and stacks of college letters went ignored for so long, because, let's face it, it's annoying as heck after the first 20. To save yourself from the mass cleaning later on, as well as not missing out on useful information, I urge you to build a system now.

There should be three categories for the summer/fall:
-Colleges that you really, really like, and can see yourself going to
-Colleges that are new to you, and you need more information
-Colleges that you don't want to go to

The third category might surprise you, but it exists because the colleges in all three categories are subject to move about. For example, I had University of Chicago in category three. I hated the idea of that college. But then, I did research, I learned more about it, and I even went on a college visit. Now, it's in category one. Until your spring of Junior year, DON'T throw a letter away. Just get three big boxes, mark the category, and put your letters there. Trust me, it makes life much easier. Another word of advice? Make category two's box the biggest, since there are over 3000 colleges in America!!

If you aren't sure about my system, that's fine. This is just an idea. However, you do need a system, so talk to your peers and the other PCCs to see how they are doing it. Think of this as a starting off point on getting a handle on college letters, so you are college smart come spring/your senior year.

*Next Week's Blog Post: Getting Ready For Junior Year: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

-Celinda Davis :]

No comments:

Post a Comment