Monday, May 9, 2011

Breaking Tradition: Elenita's Post-Uni Plans

I sat down metaphorically (aka sent a Facebook message) to Elenita for an interview on her post-Uni plans. Here is the exciting interview!

1) What are you up to next year?
Organic farming in two superb locations! I'm going to the Nantahalla Mountains, NC for four months then Maui, HI for four more. I could not be more psyched, I made the perfect decision for myself. I was initially going to do one year in one location but I am utterly incapable of making decisions so I just split up a year into semesters. Also I wanted summer ‘12 free because I don’t get to see people otherwise.

2) How do you stumble across this opportunity?
Well, long story. It has a lot to do with my being overly flexible in my life or somewhat rash, one might say. You see, in the very beginning, I was planning to go straight to college. So I was really excited and constantly looking for colleges that I thought would fit me and I visited them to make sure and such. Then I decided I need to take a gap year, which was no biggie, but I had to cut our any state schools on my list essentially. So I started applying and all and they were mostly all done when I realized that I hated every college on my list. I didn’t like the people or the places so I decided I’d do a year in Parkland Pathways then transfer to a place I’d like better. But then sometime in March, after I finished my Pathways application too, I remembered that I hate it here (which is not a dig at anyone who does, it all has to do with the individual, you know, and I happen to not function well in the CU).
At the this point I had to really think about what I like, which wasn’t hard, I like nice people and hate material goods. So a commune I was set on seeking. However, after only a week of online commune seeking I realized that about 70% of what I had seen were cults, and though I wanted to join two in particular, my parents were not enthused. But that was okay, because I noticed what also attracted me to those particular communes was their sustainable development, in particular, farms. So I then just stumbled upon growfood.org, the best website on the interweb perhaps. It’s great, just hundreds of farms. So at that point, planning next year was just gravy. I chose the farms that looked funnest.

3) What were your initial thoughts about the college process?
It completely overwhelmed me. I was not into the idea of trying to explain my essence to strangers in tiny essays and grades. I was convinced that no college, no matter how good the rest of my application, would accept me based on my lowly GPA. Of course, this is not true at all, but I was very self conscious of college admissions. I mean their job is just judging people based on very little and I hate that. Who doesn’t? But when it actually came down to putting my applications together, it wasn’t that bad at all. It’s so over-hyped but it’s really not that bad, I think people just like to scare applicants. That’s what’s up.

4) Did you feel supported by your peers during the process? Your family?
Well, honestly, I don’t talk to that many of peers. It’s not good, especially because it seemed like my class was really supportive of each other throughout the application process, I think most classes are. The people I talk to most, however, I generally against the whole systems for applying, and a lot of what we say is true, but it’s entirely unhelpful while you have to go though it.

My parents, on the other hand, I just lied to them a lot about my progress and didn’t tell them when I decided not to turn anything in, which was silly. They’re not pushy at all, it probably would have helped to keep them in the know a bit more. If they were pushy though, it probably would have been easier lying to them than having them on my butt the whole time.

5) Do you feel supported by your peers with your decision? Your family?

Oh I do! Everyone I tell about next year says something really positive and enthusiastic, which is nice. In general, students are always at least pleasant about others’ college plans. Sometimes younger classes get all sassy and say obnoxious things but they haven’t done it yet! Once students have everyone gets so much more supportive and cordial. Actually the only people who are really rude about students’ college choices are the the parents, which is so absurd. Like grown up strangers who antagonize teenagers about where they’re going or not going to college? They just need to go away. Not my parents though, they’re so into my decision. They think it’s so rad and they’re whole mantra is “do what you feel is right”. I really wish more students had that, it’s so unfair that your own parents would berate your plans, I mean unless you’re doing something completely self destructive.

6) Why did you choose to do this instead of the "traditional" Uni route of college?
My decision came from 50% indecision and 50% getting in touch with my inner desires, I think. I mean I just have this sort of flexibility for my future or inherent rashness, one might say, that allowed my to constantly revise my plans until I got them right. I don’t feel like I’m forcing myself to “conform” or that I’m pushing the contradictory on myself. My decision feels 100% right for me right now and not that I’m saying everyone should boycott college, but everyone should be allowed time to think, without any constraints that they might have now, hard about what they want to do. And I mean what they want to do right now, not in ten years. Uni grads can be 16 to 19 at any age in between is too young to have to decide they’re whole future right now. Though on the other hand, some people might now right now exactly what they want to do forever, but either way there shouldn’t be so much pressure like “your life is going to end if you don’t do this”. Silly.


7) What are your fears with this experience?

I like to think that I don’t have any, but I think I’m just not thinking. It all sounds so gnarly right now and I’m so excited to start, but there’s definitely going to be some difficult adjustments like non-easily accessible electricity. I sounds so cool that I’m going to get to live in a tepee or yurt but when push comes to shove or whatever its probably going to be hard. Not the manual labor though, I only have to work 30 hours a week because both farms indulge in lots of play time.


8) What do you hope to gain from this experience?

Oh I have no idea. In North Carolina, I get to spend hands on time learning about environmental design, which is one of the many things I might want to study if I decide to go to college later, and fermentation and a whole booty load of great things. But in terms of something deeper, per se, let anything enlightening come as it may!

9) Do you have any advice for the juniors?
Stay in touch with your peers and what they’re doing throughout applying. I always found it reassuring to find someone who was doing the same thing I was or someone who had already filled out their U of I app, for example, to help me. Also talk to Lisa a lot, which everyone says, because everyone should because she is so so helpful. Make sure you only apply places you’d actually want to go, even fall back schools that you’re sure you won’t have to go to, just get yourself real jazzed about all the places on you list. Lastly, entertain all ideas you have about college, don’t rule anything out. I kept myself from applying to better schools because I was sure I wasn’t going to get in. But I realize this is the reverse for a lot of people, so don’t be afraid to apply to less “prestigious” schools even if you think your peers will think worse of you (because they really won’t, and even if they did, who cares) or your parents aren’t a fan because later you might be able to change their minds. That happens.

Remember to listen to your "inner-self" in regards to your wants, needs, happiness, etc. throughout the college process. Elenita paused and thought deeply about what she wanted, which all you juniors should do. Remember, this is your life and your decision.

-Celinda :]

PS, Thanks so much Elenita for taking the time to answer so thoroughly and so thoughtfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment