Monday, May 2, 2011

Uni and the College Process

Hey Juniors!
I am super excited for some of the blogs coming up. As I already stated, Stef is going to do a blog about Parkland. We will also hear from the other PCCs and their college decisions. Also, Elenita agreed to be interviewed about her future plans--let me tell you, they are really cool!

Before any of these blogs however, I want to take a moment to discuss the climate at Uni and the college process. Today, I passed around a poll, with 30 senior responses. As I promised, it is anonymous. I asked them two questions about the college process:
1) Did you feel supported by your peers?
2) Did you actively feel judged at any point?

The second question had a very solid result:
3 people said No
27 people said Yes

What does that mean for the senior class? It means throughout the college process, most of the seniors have felt judged about a number of things including scores, colleges, final decision, rejections, and grades. One response said "especially applying to small, unknown, liberal arts schools". Another response was "snarkiness from a few people". A third one said "Especially with UIUC". Lisa was telling me of students who come in her office crying because they got into an Ivy League, only to be judged for it. What is going on here Uni kids?

It seems as if people are getting judged for going to UIUC, for not going to UIUC, for going to an Ivy League, for not going to an Ivy League, for looking at unknown, for looking at known--really, is anyone free from the judgment? Then, it occurred to me that 27 people said they felt judged. I estimate that if I polled the other 31 (myself not included) seniors, I would still have an overwhelming number of yeses. If everyone feels judged and they dislike it for the most part, then why is anyone judging others? Now, that is easier said than done, because it is human nature to judge. But, if one doesn't want to feel judged, then they shouldn't judge others. If person A agreed to stop judging person B, and person B agreed to stop judging person A, then judgment stops.

Juniors, I implore you to remember that each person has their own unique college process. Even the closest friends have different interests and needs. We are forging a new path for ourselves, whether it is college, abroad, or right here at home. Thinking about my friends, there's a few future doctors, an undecided, a businesswoman, engineers of all shapes and sizes, techies, English experts, etc. I myself am majoring in education. With so much variety, we must remember that each process and final decision is unique, and beautiful. We are at the crossroads, forming the people we want to be. We should be proud of each other, no matter WHERE we go.

For the first question, I got a mixture of responses:
I got some yeses
I got some occasionally's
I got some sometimes
I got some kind of's
I got a NEVER
I got some some/most of them's
I got a meh...
I got a sorta
I got a hell no

This data is harder to interpret because there are a myriad of answers. However, what can be said is in an ideal situation, all 30 responses would be yes. We are a social species. It is hard to survive without the group. So, instead of actively judging your peers or passively doing nothing, I propose the Class of 2012 actively supports each other. This is a long, arduous process. There will be celebrations, acceptances, successes, and breaths of relief. There will also be afflictions, rejections, failures, and sighs of disappointment. Support will be key in making sure you're okay when you're in our positions, mailing in deposits.

Here are some suggestions for support:
1) After a test, organize a picnic, bike ride, movie, or other fun activity
2) Refrain from bragging too much about your schools (remember, there is a fine line between your excitement/pride and hurting other people).
3) Keep your test scores to yourself, your college applications, and Lisa (PCCs only if you want to!). There's a reason you have to go through a security check before you can look at your scores.
4) Remember that your process is uniquely your own. Try not to look at other processes through the lens of your own process.
5) In January, try to celebrate finishing your college applications
6) Check your college decisions at home, not at school.
7) If you are asked about your college process and you aren't comfortable answering, just tell them you aren't telling people. Conversely, if you are asking someone about their college process and they don't feel comfortable answering, let it go and move on.

Remember Class of 2012, the climate of Uni won't change overnight. However, each person has the ability to make a small difference. Someday, hopefully, the collection of all those small differences can make a world of change.

-Celinda :]

(PS, thank you all seniors who participated in my poll!)

No comments:

Post a Comment