Thursday, February 3, 2011

You Know It’s Gonna Be Alright...

[Blogger note: Ever-wise Stef here to put things in perspective. How timely too, since tomorow I'll be blogging about the Ivy Leagues. I would print many copies of this blog out and cover my ceiling/locker with it :) ]

Dear Juniors,

College. Call-ledge. Kolej. C-O-L-L-E-G-E. However you say it, it’s a fact. It’s this big, daunting idea that everyone tells you is really important- and it is- but I would like to give you some information that some of you will like, some of you will hate, and some of you probably already understand:

COLLEGE ISN’T EVERYTHING.

As a Peer College Counselor, I’m supposed to be telling you how to get into college, which I am more than happy to do whenever you need me to; however, as a Peer College Counselor, I will also advise you not to forget that you’re still a teenager. You still have a year left in high school, and a lot can happen in that amount of time; second semester senior year is way too late to start enjoying high school.

Yes, there are things you should do as a junior to make the college process easier: Do as much testing as you can; keep your grades up; if you’re looking to competitive schools, plan your senior schedule around the four core classes (history, math, english, science); visit brown baggers, do research, ask questions. But remember that you have time. Take it easy! Go to parties and dances, listen to music, hang out with friends.

Before you (or your parents...) start screaming at me, understand that I’m not saying that you should nurture your early-onset Senioritis. I’m saying packing your schedule down to the minute with college-related activities is going to make you crazy, and it’s going to make you hate everything about college (if you don’t already). Leave some time in your crazy schedule, between homework, studying for the SAT, writing scholarship essays, and college research, for “chill time”. When you look back on your last two years of high school, you’d probably like to remember that you actually had fun and did more than think about college.

I’m repeating this message because it’s something I really want to drive home. Maybe none of you will listen at all- you’ve seen sibling go through this process before, or your parents are guiding you every step of the way, and you haven’t had a single problem up to this point. But for those of you who have no idea what you’re doing, or are feeling completely overwhelmed by this whole process, or those of you who, like me, have the occasional pre-bedtime “I’m-never-going-to-get-into-college” freakouts, I’m telling you from experience: College isn’t everything.

You know it’s gonna be alright. Keep calm and carry on. Have a great junior year.

Cheers,
Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment