Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ACTs and SATs and Subject Tests oh my!

This month begins the official test taking period for Juniors. Today, we are going to discuss each test, how do colleges use the scores, superscoring, test prep ideas, and my own personal experience (PHEW, that's a lot).

The two major tests for college entrance are the ACT and the SAT. We will also discuss SAT II (Subject tests). Below are fast facts about each test

ACT (http://www.actstudent.org/):
-Tests are offered February 12, April 9, and June 11 for this school year.
-ACT is broken up into four long tests, which are English, Reading Comprehension, Science Comprehension, and Math.
-The test is recorded on a 1-36 scale for each test, then combined into voodoo magic to get your composite score, also on a 1-36 scale
-Writing is optional, but I always push for signing up for it, because it is cheaper and more time efficient in the long run to buy the extra portion than it is to retake the whole test

In regards to the actual test material...
English is a 45 minute test with 75 questions. The questions are going to be grammar/spelling/logic correction questions.
Math is a 60 minute test with 60 questions. The questions are going to require your math skills up to around the Algebra II level. AKA, no calculus or pre-calculus.
Reading Comprehension is a 35 minute test with 40 questions. Remember the SSAT? Same format, just harder passages.
Science Comprehension is a 35 minute test with 40 questions. This is often the enemy of many a Uni kid. The crazy part about this test is you DON'T need scientific knowledge. This portion of the test is sort of like a specialized reading comprehension section. Knowledge of graph reading is important, but reading comprehension skills are also essential.

Let me tell you my ACT story. I took the ACT twice because I did better at my first ACT than my first (and last) SAT. However, the first time I took it, I thought I was going to bomb it. I was a little under the weather, I had a fight with someone the night before, I was taking my first ACT. Needless to say, I was freaking. I did okay though. My math and my science had room to improve though. When I took it the second time, I focused on Science especially. I did every practice problem I could. And I improved it seven points. None of my other scores really changed all that much, but my overall composite score improved two points. Focusing on a subject I feel I could improve on was better than focusing on all portions in detail. You will stretch yourself thin that way.

SAT (http://www.collegeboard.com/):
-Tests are offered Januaury 22, March 12, May 7, and June 4 for this school year
-SAT is broken up into ten sections, covering Math, Reading Comprehension, and Writing
-Each test is scored on a 200-800 score, then each score is added together to give you a 600-2400 test score
-The writing section is included

In regards to the actual test material...
The SAT is special. At least, that's what its mother told it. In all seriousness though, instead of four big tests, the subjects are broken up over 10 sections. The time for each section is the variable, not necessarily the subject. There is a 25 minute essay, five 25 minute sections, two 20 minute sections, and one 10 minute section. There is a 10th section, but this one varies from test to test.

Personal SAT story time. I took the SAT back in January of my junior year. It is just a blur in some ways now. I took it, thought I did a pretty damn good job. Who cares if I didn't study so much? The SAT people, that's who. My scores came back fairly okay, but a) not my projected PSAT scores and b) not as high as if I had studied better. One problem is that I didn't spend the time to look at the format of the test. I suppose another thing is that I was cocky. I am not amazing at standardized tests. I took the SSAT three times because my math score was incredibly low the first time I took it. I was cocky though, because I didn't realize the amount of energy it takes to sit down and take a four hour test. It's taxing as hell. I didn't take the SAT again, but if I did, I would walk in with a realistic mind set, knowing what to expect on the test.

SAT IIs/Subject tests (http://www.collegeboard.com/)
-There are 20 subject tests offered: Literature, US History, World History, Math Level 1, Math Level 2, Biology E/M, Chemistry, Physics, French, French w/listening, German, German w/ listening, Spanish, Spanish w/ listening, Modern Hebrew, Italian, Latin, Japanese w/ listening, Korean w/ listening, and Chinese w/ listening.
-The tests are offered on the same days as the SAT above EXCEPT MARCH.
-The Language with Listening tests are only offered in November
-Scored 200-800
-Each test is an hour long, and you can take up to three a day

In regards to actual test material...
This will definitely vary for each of the tests. I won't go over them all, but check out the SAT Subject tests part of Collegeboard.com. Further, talk to a teacher if you are planning to take a subject test in their subject. Ask how much they cover the material that appears on the test and if taking the test is reasonable at all (I've heard some teachers say that taking the subject test in their subject is a bad idea, because the student won't be prepared at all).

My own personal Subject tests story. I took Literature, US History, and Math Level 1. I went in, believing that I knew enough for the test, with only minimal studying. Don't let the fact that you are taking a test in a subject you know fool you. This isn't a school test. This is a standardized test. Study like you would for the SAT or ACT. Literature? Ack. US History, a little less ack, but still pretty bad. Math? Eh, I did okay enough. Still, I wish wish wish I had studied better. If you are interested in taking these tests, but are unsure of which, research! Some schools require certain ones based on major. Some don't want them at all. Some don't specify which. It changes. Also, talk to Lisa, she can give you some good suggestions.

As many know, things are often in opposition, battling for the affection of the masses. Cats vs. Dogs, Mornings vs. Nights, Futbol vs. Football, Pokemon vs. Yu-Gi-Oh, East Coast vs. West Coast. Same with these tests. Some people will say the ACT is better and some will say the SAT is better. The only way you'll find out? Take both! I am a big supporter of taking both tests, to see which is your stronger test, then you can take the test you are stronger in again. (BTW, dogs, nights, football, Pokemon, West coast, and ACT. BAM!)

Colleges and scores:
Juniors, you must must must must keep in mind that these tests are only PART of the greater whole. Schools care about your essays, your recommendations, your GPA, which classes you took, your volunteerism, your work experience, your travels, etc. Some schools will care about one thing more than others. As you look at colleges, use collegeboard to search your college. Under admissions criteria, they provide a list of their very important criteria, their important, and their considered. Most schools will take either SAT or ACT. Some will need the writing component of the ACT. Some will need Subject tests. It varies, so do your research.

Superscoring and Score Choice:
-Score choice, a SAT thing, is pretty much giving you the choice to send the test based on test date (or individual tests of the Subject tests).
-Superscoring, an ACT thing, is a school choosing your best subscores (ignoring test date) and combining them to make the best score. So, for example, let's say for the Feb test you got a 28 in Reading and in April you got 31. They will take your 31, and combine it with your best Math, best Science, and best English, ignoring the test date. [IMPORTANT: Not all schools superscore]

Test Prep:
There are two ways you can prepare: on your own and in a class. Both methods work, just for different people.
-I studied on my own. For the ACT I used the Princeton Review's book. In fact, I recommend them for all the different tests. I don't recommend the official guides because they tend to sugarcoat/limit what you see. Think about it. If I gave a guide answering all your questions the first time, you wouldn't have to take the test more than once. They're in business, so buy unofficial. The official SAT study guide is actually pretty good, if you aren't into Princeton review.
-Some people swear by the local ACT prep classes. If they work for you, then sign up! Ask seniors, to see if any of them took the prep class, and their opinion. Some suggestions are Kaplan, private tutoring, etc.

Anyways, if any of you have any questions (that was a lot of any's) comment, email, or stop a PCC in the hall!

-Celinda :]

No comments:

Post a Comment