Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Celinda vs. the Interview

I have had three official admission counselor interviews and now two alumni interviews for college. Let me tell you one thing. It is supposed to be comfortable. It is supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be a conversation. But one thing doesn't leave your mind: I hope they like me. That's what makes interviews nerve-wracking, especially college interviews. Learning from my interview today, I want to explore the different aspects of the interview, how I feel about them, and then possible solutions with dealing with it.

"I'm bragging about myself."
Where is the line between talking about all your talents and strengths and bragging about yourself? Honestly, I was wondering that myself. It's hard for some people to review their strengths and weaknesses and say wholeheartedly "I am a logical thinker" or "I have an innate curiosity of the world". One reason why it is difficult might be that our strengths aren't illuminated 24/7. For example, I could have a curious mind, but I know there could be moments when I couldn't care less. So when I tell the interviewer "Curious mind, right here" I feel like I am lying a bit. Another reason might be because telling someone about our strengths raises their expectations of us. We are scared that they might think "Curious mind, right there" and then discover the mind isn't all that curious.
Solutions: Positive energy is a key factor. For example, the word "failure" is banned in this house. In fact, that is the sole reason I am writing this blog while my mother is out. That's a lie. But a good one. Anyway, positive energy helps. Instead of thinking of all the things you can't do or haven't done, think of all the things you can do or have done. Don't ignore your weaknesses, because they are what make you human, but remember this: the interview is your place to shine. Walk in thinking "Heck yah I'm awesome. Wanna know why?". Then tell them. Tell them why. Remember though, you are human. Don't lie about what your strengths and weaknesses are.


"How do I show them I want to go?"
Ah yes. The eternal "Why ___? question. I loathe that question. I often want to scream at the top of my lungs "BECAUSE I WANT TO COME. I HAVE NO RHYME OR REASON FOR THE CHOICES I MAKE". Alas, that's not good enough. (Note: it usually isn't good enough for those annoying math questions that say EXPLAIN. I can't write BECAUSE THAT'S THE ANSWER I PULLED OUT OF MY...HEAD). So, the reason you want to go has to be deeper than that. The question is, why are you putting in the time and effort to apply? I had two reasons to answer that question, and I was astonished that it didn't seem good enough. I think the problem was I didn't articulate it well enough. Half the difficulty with this question is finding the answer. The second half is articulating just why
YOU want to go. That's much harder. That's asking for you to be unique. Special. One of a kind. Which you are. All humans are. BUT HOW DO YOU SHOW THIS?
Solutions: Research. Visit the college if you can.* You can discuss a popular aspect of the college (For example, May Term at Illinois Wesleyan) but bring it back to you. "I want to apply to Ill Wes because of the May Term. I hope to do an internship at a (name of nonprofit) in Chicago during one of the four offered because since I was eight..." is how you deal with this. I thought I did that, but thinking back, I could have made a stronger argument.


"Have I visited?"*
This one actually got under my skin tonight. I blushed at my other mistakes, but this one I didn't. The question is a reasonable one. They are interested in level of interest, if you have gotten a sense of the campus, the people, etc. However, if you say no, THIS SHOULDN'T be a strike against you, especially if the college you are looking at would be an investment in regards to travel (aka, either coasts, more than 6 hours of driving). An interviewer shouldn't look at you like you have grown a second head. Not all Uni kids have the time, or the means, to travel across the country. Now, if I got into a college in...California for example, I would fly out there. But only after I get in. Never feel bad about not visiting pre-applying. Visit if the school is close though!
Solutions: Students might worry about level of interest. What you should do is search their websites, email the admissions counselor, respond to their annoying emails, have them send to you all their special brochures. If you love a school, don't let distance be a stifling factor. Make the love for the college known virtually.


"What am I supposed to do with the curveball questions????"
Good question! (heeheehee). I have a complex, ambivalent relationship with these questions. On one hand, they're fun to answer sometimes. On the other hand, they're hard to answer sometimes! "Why do people climb mountains?" "What motivates you?"...honestly, it's easy to write off admissions counselors as insane. The wonderful thing I have discovered though is that the counselors love these questions. I mean it, they get a thrill out of asking them, not because they are sadistic, but because every answer is unique. Every. Single. One. What motivates you? Why do people climb mountains? The answer is going to give them a little peek into the beauty that lies within your core. That's why they ask them. Doesn't make it easy. Just thrilling.
Solutions: Deep deep deep breaths. Ask for a moment to think. Don't ever give them the answer you think they want to hear. They have no idea what to expect. Surprise them with your honest answer.

This was one part therapeutic, because I am still uneasy and unsure of interviews. I left this one a little shaky, a little upset. Sometimes that's going to happen, no matter which school or job is interviewing you. The problem might be the interviewer and their personality (they're human too), the problem might be you, or there might not be a definitive problem and it might just be an off day. No matter what though, the interview is just part of the great process. Further, you probably did better than you think. I probably did better than I think. It's okay to feel frustration though. I promise.

Tomorrow (hopefully!) I will do a blog about the tests and scores. Thursday, we have the fabulous Revathi blogging. Then (hopefully!) Friday I will write a blog about Financial Aid, in the spirit of FAFSA month.
[btw Seniors, FAFSA!!]

-Celinda :]

No comments:

Post a Comment