Thursday, January 27, 2011

Summertime with Sheela :]

[Blogger Celinda Note: There are times when I feel like the other PCCs and I are sextuplets because they give me these blog entries that are PERFECT, both written and theme-wise. Today is one of those moments. Btw, if summer college programs aren't something you are interested in, there are plenty of things you can do, such as travel, volunteer, and work. Sheela makes an important point about staying active during the summer!]

Hey Juniors!

With all of the cold weather and snow on the ground, I find myself constantly dreaming about summer and being able to finally do whatever I want. Arguably, the summer before your junior year is the most important because colleges want to see that you are actually doing something besides relaxing. Knowing this, I encourage you all to apply to summer programs! I did one this past summer and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I know that after all the studying and homework you have done this year, you probably don’t want to do even more over the summer by taking a program at some college or another. But here are some reasons why you should consider applying:


1. It isn’t as stressful as you would think!

I went to a two week camp at Duke and when I got the packet in the mail of what I had to buy for the psychology class that I was taking, I was nervous. I had to order a huge book on amazon and had to do reading before I even got there. But, the instructors knows that it is summer and really, everybody is there mostly to try something new and have fun. I can’t guarantee that everybody will have as easy of an experience as me, but if you are applying to a “pre-college” program where you take courses for credit, then my guess is that it will probably be more strenuous than taking a two or three week long course on one subject.

2. It helps you prepare for college

Depending on where you apply, you may find yourself clear across the country. Duke is a 12 hour drive from Champaign, and on the way there I was freaking out. What if I couldn’t survive without my parents?! But once I got there I didn’t want to leave. Yeah you have to live in dorms by yourself, wake up on time, do your own laundry, feed yourself, etc. but it helped me realize that I would be comfortable applying to schools really far away from home. Also, colleges will be impressed with the initiative and risk that you took by doing this. Summer programs at colleges are unique, and if you go to one at a school that you are thinking of applying to, they will see how interested and dedicated you are.

3. It’s fun!

Although there is some work that has to be done for whatever course you may take, the people coordinating the camp want to make it fun for you. They plan activities like going into town to watch movies, go to the mall, or go to sporting events. When I was at Duke, I got to go to a Durham Bulls baseball game, the local mall, and watch Toy Story 3. They also plan events on campus, like ultimate frisbee and soccer tournaments to dances and other socializing events.

Although it is scary at first, leaving town and everything that is familiar, it is better to experience it now rather than when you are leaving to go to college! I made some really great friends at Duke that I still keep in touch with, and although it was only a couple of weeks long, I still have stories that I can tell from there.

The one piece of advice I can give you in terms of applying is: apply early! I know it is only the end of January right now, but this is the time to be looking and applying. Here are some websites to get you started:

http://www.mysummercamps.com/camps/Academic_and_Pre-College_Camps/,

http://www.privateschoolsearch.com/pss/page/summerProgramsList.do,

and the bulletin board outside of the SSO office.

And as always, Lisa and the PCCs can be of help :)


Your PCC,

Sheela

No comments:

Post a Comment