Thursday, January 20, 2011

Take Five With Revathi

[Missay here was sick, yet wrote a blog! Go girlie :] Tomorrow (hopefully! We'll see) I will have a financial aid blog, then we have TWO guest contributors from the Class of 2010 who are on Rotary. They are sharing their thoughts on the Gap year!]

Hey guys,

I know that second-semester junior year is busy and stressful. In fact the entire college process can be scary and terrifying. But you will get through this, I promise. So, here are a few things that I suggest you keep in mind as you embark on the college process:

- Testing
Testing can be really confusing. Some schools want subject tests, some schools don’t, some use Score Choice, some don’t. Once you have a list of colleges that you are interested in be sure to look at the testing they require. You don’t want testing be the reason you can’t apply to a school. Also, I know this might seem like a given but STUDY. I’m one of those people who cram for two weeks before the test and it was really difficult to do that last year because the week before a standardized test was always crammed with physics quizzes, English papers, history tests, etc. So make sure to plan ahead and keep that in mind when you come up with a study schedule. Also, it’s a good idea to talk to teachers if you are taking a subject test in their subject.

- College visits
College visits can be really helpful. Over spring break of junior year, I went on college visits. One college I was interested in was right in the middle of a city and when I visited, I realized that I hated their campus. Sure, the school was great but the campus was basically designed in a straight line and there was no “green space”. In the end, I did not end up applying to that school because I knew I would not be happy there. Another college I disliked due to the emphasis on science, something I didn’t know about before I visited. As the presenter talked about requirements in physics, chemistry, and biology, I knew there was no way I would be applying to this school.
Of course, you probably won’t be able to visit every college on your list so keep in mind that you can always visit a college after you are accepted.

- Lisa (and the SSO)
Be sure to talk to Lisa about questions or advice.

Your PCC,
Revathi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment